From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 3:15 PM
Subject: [xml-dev] What is this principle called: "I' send data in my UOM
and you convert it, as needed, to your UOM"?

Hi Folks,

Suppose that every member in a community is required to exchange data using
one unit of measure. For example, suppose length is required to be expressed
as a decimal value in centimeters. Consider a system that internally deals
with length measurements in meters. Suppose the system wishes to exchange
the value "1/3 meter." Recall that the system is required to exchange values
in decimal centimeters. However, there is no exact conversion of "1/3 meter"
to centimeters. Should the system send the value 33 cm, 33.3 cm, 33.33333
cm? In the general case, the sending system has no insight into the
precision required by recipients. Exchanging the wrong amount of precision
could be catastrophic. There is a principle that a sender should transmit
its original data (e.g., 1/3 meter); it is up to recipients to convert the
data, if necessary, to the precision they require.

What's the name of the principle? I remember someone on this list talking
about it long ago. Perhaps Len? Perhaps Walter Perry? (BTW, anyone know the
whereabouts of Walter?)

/Roger