Re: [xml-dev] A proposal for application level XML 'namespaces'

Original Message From: "Michael Kay"

> QNames in content should be written as absolute names; if applications
> define their own conventions that are context-sensitive (which we can't
> stop them doing), layer 6 processing will not preserve the context when
> subtrees are copied or transformed.

On this I think we are in closer agreement than you might think.

My thought was to make the xml.prefixes scheme a separate recommendation to
the main XML specification.  Let's call it "A Method for Abbreviating QNames
using Application-Level Prefixes".

Then _IF_ the vocabular designer wanted to use shortened QNames then they
could say something to the effect of "This vocabulary uses abbreviate QNames
as described in [1](A Method for Abbreviating QNames using Application-Level
Prefixes)."

The intent is to avoid everybody inventing their own scheme that achieved
the same thing in slightly different ways, making it easier for people to
understand, and allowing for more common code.

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info