Re: [xml-dev] RE: An elegant implementation of an XML graph traversal

On 08/10/2011 21:35, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> As I examine Martin's solution to the problem of traversing an XML graph, it occurs to me that it may be possible to abstract his particular implementation to a declarative (inductive) definition.
It would be more usual to do this the other way around - to start from
the inductive definition and move to the implementation.

The inductive definition, of course, does not need to worry about
looping or termination. That's something programmers have difficulty
grasping. Once you escape from the mindset of telling computers how to
implement things, infinite sets pose no particular problem.

Michael Kay
Saxonica