Re: [xml-dev] "Terms of Use" statement in a markup library

Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> writes:

> On 25/10/2011 13:08, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>> Bruce Cox wrote:
>>
>>      If the [markup library] creators don't provide a "terms of use" statement
>>      (or the equivalent) , the acceptance of which is a least implied, then the
>>       consumers should demand one.
>>
>> I don't think I have ever seen a "terms of use" statement in an XML Schema, DTD, Relax NG schema, or Schematron schema. I am interested to see what should go into a "terms of use" statement. Would someone provide an actual "terms of use" statement please?
>>
> You've probably seen hundreds of them but haven't stopped to read
> them. Here's an example
>
> http://www.fpml.org/documents/license.html
>
> Michael Kay
> Saxonica

Some of them are embedded in XML comments, like done in the following XSD:

<!--AIXM 5.1-->
<!--www.aixm.aero-->
<!--Released:  February 2010-->
<!--====================================================================-->
<!--
  Copyright (c) 2010, EUROCONTROL & FAA
  =====================================
  All rights reserved.
  modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
  met:
    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
      this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
      the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
      distribution.
    * Neither the names of EUROCONTROL or FAA nor the names of their
      contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
      this specification without specific prior written permission.

  THIS SPECIFICATION IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND
  CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING,
  BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
  FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
  COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
  INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
  BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS
  OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
  ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR
  TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE
  USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
  Editorial note: this license is an instance of the BSD license template as
  provided by the Open Source Initiative:
  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
-->

Kind regards...