RE: [xml-dev] Who's in charge: the markup library or the user ofthe markup library?

Absolutely.  For an active and important program, I opened the CDRL
and it cited XML.  Then I looked and the DTD cited can't support the
document type itself (an MWO).  The good news is the owning agency
immediately verified it, got the waiver and we delivered SGML.  The
other good news is Arbortext can support that.  Woe unto users of XML
tools that can't because a fair amount of mission-critical docs are
still ISO 8879 docs.   Woe unto the XML skilled who didn't bother with
the parent language when this happens.

And good for us old folks who did and have. :)

Exercising both XML and XSL for a new version of a spec has proven ...
stimulating.   There are are predictable disconnects when two
different organizations own the GFI that have to be used as integrated
pieces by the contractor.  I'm sure you've seen all of this before too.

And then there are the little XSL tools one can build to help at
different stages of the process such as extracting id/idrefs with the
surrounding titles into tables for the cross-checks.  I'm almost a
markup guy again.

The deep frustration is to see markup as an end-process item because
they use Word instead of getting the XML done early and often.   We
old CALS types really do need to help right the ship we built.

len