Re: [xml-dev] Stability of schemas -- frequency of versioning

At 2011-11-21 12:58 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>How frequently should schemas be allowed to change?

I think the answer depends on the user community for that schema.

>Let "schemas" refer to XML Schema, Relax NG, DTD, or Schematron.
>
>Let "change" refer to non-backward compatible changes such as
>requiring a new element.

In the UBL project, that is referred to as a major revision.  A minor
revision is one that doesn't invalidate instances written according
to the previous version:  new elements added to old elements must be
optional, and old elements can have their minimum cardinality lowered
or their maximum raised (but not the other ways around).  BTW,
children of newly added optional elements can, of course, have
mandatory elements.

>I will attempt to persuade you of the following:
>
>      To be effectively deployed, schemas require a certain amount
> of stability.
>     That is, they shouldn't change too often. Further, any changes
> that do occur
>     should be backward compatible.

UBL works that way.  2.0 was released in 2006, 2.1 should be out
sometime in 2012.  As a minor revision, all changes are
backward-compatible.  All instances of UBL 2.0 are valid instances of UBL 2.1.

>That says, for example, that if your domain is Books then the kind
>of information that goes into Books is stable; if your domain is
>financial contracts -- swaps, options, futures -- then the kind of
>information that goes into financial contracts is
>stable.  Consequently your schemas are stable. Conversely, if your
>Book or financial contract schemas are constantly changing then your
>schema development and software development will thrash and users
>will be constantly confused.

For UBL the concern is about a hybrid distribution in a wide
network.  Consider the situation where hundreds of thousands of users
are using UBL 2.0 and the edict comes down to start using UBL 2.1
when it is necessary to take advantage of new 2.1 features.  This is
the case for over 400,000 businesses in Denmark, and tens of
thousands of users of Tradeshift worldwide.  The changeover will not
be instantaneous.  A user need only change when they need to take
advantage of the new features.  If they don't need the new features,
and most of them likely don't since they are already successfully
doing business with their existing systems, they can take their time migrating.

A UBL 2.1 system can accept a UBL 2.0 instance without any
problems.  So in a hybrid environment as new 2.1 systems are added to
the network, they continue to be able to accept instances of UBL 2.0
created by systems that have not yet taken the time to upgrade.

For a discussion regarding *forward-compatibility*, I've proposed a
processing model for UBL 2.0 that will be able to accept instances of
UBL 2.1.  This is documented and illustrated in section 4 of our
customization guidelines:

   http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/guidelines/UBL2-Customization1.0cs01.pdf

Remember that a schema only addresses interchange issues of ensuring
the syntax and structure of the document are agreed on between two parties.

Sure you cite Schematron, but that to me is another animal.  Value
constraints are far more fluid than schema constraints.  One morning
a cheque from a customer might bounce for me and so that afternoon I
would want to constrain the payment method for invoices from that
customer to be cash only.  I can quickly change such value
constraints on a UBL instance, but I would not want to have to
quickly change value constraints in my UBL schema.  Think of the
problems trying to reliably change, test, validate and deploy a new
schema, let alone a schema that is now customized for one client that
is different than the schema for all other clients.

So in this discussion, I think one needs to distinguish
syntax/structural constraints from value constraints.

Note that there are some value constraints that are structural in
nature:  a community of users using UBL 2.0 may agree amongst
themselves that an optional construct found in UBL 2.0 is mandatory
for them.  They could make this a value constraint and add it to a
layer, such as a Schematron layer.  They could customize their
community's schema to make it mandatory, but then only they have to
use their community's schema.  Instances they produce with the
mandatory item are still valid UBL 2.0 instances for users outside of
the community because it is optional for them and just happens to be specified.

>An example of a rock-solid schema is the XML Schema for XML Schemas.
>It hasn't changed in 10 years. And the new version is backward
>compatible with the old. Ditto for the Relax NG schema for Relax NG schemas.

I would posit that the constraints imposed by backward compatibility
are more important in an environment where instances of the schemas
are interchanged with other parties.  In a closed environment, where
I'm only creating schemas for myself and for my own documents, I can
control using an older schema validator with an older schema, and a
newer schema validator with a newer schema.

>Suppose, however, that the information for a domain is required to
>frequently change, say, three times a year.

If the changes are simply accommodating newly identified requirements
for some users, backwards compatibility isn't a problem:  make the
new constructs optional in the schemas so that existing users without
the new requirements are not inconvenienced.  Users who are impacted
by the new requirements can then migrate to the new schemas when they
are ready to or are obliged to.  Layer on some value constraints on
top of the structural constraints if you want the users who are
migrating to be obliged to use the new constructs.

>I have attempted to persuade you that a schema may not be a good fit
>for describing that type of information. But I am at a loss for what
>is a good fit. What is a good fit?

Someone in our community once said something along the lines of
"systems should be permissive in what they accept and restrictive in
what they produce".  In such a system, layered constraints can
address subsets of the community.  The whole community can agree upon
a permissive schema and the subset can agree on more constraints on
top of that permissiveness.

If an environment fundamentally changes three times a year for all
users, then I think they just need to accept the obligation that they
have to change their systems in lock-step ... not very nice or
comfortable, but if the business requirements are there, I guess they
are stuck.  But I wouldn't take the benefits of schema technology
away from them once all the systems in their network are brought up
to the same level of functionality.  Schemas still play a role.

I hope this helps.

Free 5-hour video lecture: XSLT/XPath 1.0 & 2.0 http://ude.my/t37DVX
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com