From: Cox, Bruce [mailto:Bruce.Cox@USPTO.GOV]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:16 PM
To: Mike Sokolov; John Cowan
Cc: cbullard@hiwaay.net; Costello, Roger L.; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Include data that may be objectively generated some
day?

When designing the DTD's for published patents, we included markup for
well-defined constructs specified in the rules for patent filing,
examination, and granting.  Some of that markup was speculative, in the
sense that there were no systems in existence that would exploit the markup.
Consequently, the contractor converting content to XML for publication was
instructed to not apply some of the markup, purely for the cost benefit.
Ten years later, we're building systems that would have exploited that
markup, were it there.   Can't win them all.

Bruce B Cox
OCIO/AED/Software Architecture and Engineering Division
USPTO