Re: [xml-dev] Lightweight browser-based XML / Form editor for taxonomieswith support for nesting /recursion

Hi Lech,

You may give oXygen a try - we have the visual editing (Author) mode
available as a component and it can be used from an Applet. For example,
if you have a document like test.xml:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="test.css"?>
<!DOCTYPE root_element SYSTEM "test.dtd">
<root_element>
   <group xml:id="a1">
     <name>A</name>
     <group xml:id="a2">
       <name>B</name>
       <group xml:id="x1">
         <name>C</name>
         <item xml:id="a4">
           <name>D</name>
           <source>sourceValue</source>
         </item>
         <item xml:id="a5">
           <name>E</name>
           <source>source-value</source>
         </item>
         <item xml:id="x">
           <name>X</name>
           <source>sampleValue</source>
         </item>
       </group>
     </group>
   </group>
</root_element>

with this test.dtd:

<?xml encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!ELEMENT root_element (group*)>
<!ELEMENT group (name, (group|item+))>
<!ATTLIST group
   xml:id ID #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT item (name,source)>
<!ATTLIST item
   xml:id ID #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT source (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT name (#PCDATA)>

and this test.css:

root_element {
   display : block;
   content : "Taxonomies";
}
group:before {
   content : 'Group[' attr("xml:id") ']';
   color : gray;
}
group {
   display :block;
   -oxy-foldable : true;
   -oxy-not-foldable-child: name;
   padding-left : 1em;
}
item:before {
   content : 'Item[' attr("xml:id") ']';
   color : gray;
}
item {
   display : block;
   margin-left : 0.2em;
}
name {
   display : inline;
   padding-left : 0.2em;
}
source {
   display:inline;
   color : green;
   padding-left : 1em;
}

then you can switch to Author mode and get a nice visual editor with
foldable groups where you can easily edit the content as in the attached
oXygenAuthorMode.pdf file. You can also change the CSS or provide
alternate stylesheet for different renderings.

If you create a document type/framework similar with what we have by
default for DocBook, DITA, XHTML, TEI, etc. and specify there the CSS
and DTD then you can add also custom actions to easily insert a group or
an item. The framework allows also to automatically generate ID
attributes for elements.

Once you have that working in the oXygen application then you can take
the framework and pack it with the Author component applet and deploy
that to have the same editing functionality inside the browser. We have
a sample applet configured with the DITA framework on our website and
the source code for that is available
http://www.oxygenxml.com/oxygen_sdk.html#oXygen_component

Best Regards,
George