Re: [xml-dev] Noob: XML validation capabilities beyond schemas

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM, John Christopher
<john.christopher1100@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Newbie alert.
> So far, I have been validating my XML docs with RELAX NG schemas (I started out with XML Schema but switched to RELAX NG, which is much easier to read).  I use the XML schema datatypes, enumeration, lists, etc. to do most of the validation I want to do.  When I need to validate something that is beyond the capabilities of RELAX NG, I have been using GNU Awk to scan the XML and do further validation, but this is messy and error-prone.
> Is there a better way?  Is it possible to add additional validation functions to parsers?  If so, how?
> I am also investigating schematron.  How powerful/limited is this?
> What is/are the standard way(s) to validate XML beyond the capabilities of schemas?  Any advice, pointers, or links would be appreciated.

It's not clear what you want to do, but since you mention  Schematron
I'd highly recommend that as a path to explore.  If you still need
more after that then personally I'd turn to XSLT...

Peter Hunsberger