Re: [xml-dev] Nominations for the best XML markup language of all time

At 2011-12-29 12:32 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>What XML markup language do you consider to be the best ever?

I would have worded your question as the best "XML constraint
language" since the markup of a document is governed by XML
itself.  There are multiple choices of how to express the constraints
of a given XML vocabulary that are layered on top of the constraints
of XML syntax true for all vocabularies.

I second your nomination of RELAX-NG but I would go a step further to
say that the compact syntax expression of RELAX-NG constraint
semantics is even "better" than the XML syntax expression for people
to use (while the XML syntax is "better" for automated processes to use).

p.s. a close second is NVDL because as one ring to bind them all it
allows different constraint languages to be used for different parts
of a document

Free 5-hour video lecture: XSLT/XPath 1.0 & 2.0 http://ude.my/uoui9h
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com