From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike@saxonica.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:40 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] RE: Encoding charset of HTTP Basic Authentication

 >The distinction between bytes and characters is a fairly recent
development. When I bought my first computer in the 1990s it came with
Windows 3.11 and MS-DOS 6.22, and the german versions of those use
different "code pages"...

In the Computer Science Tripos at Cambridge University they always used
to ask a few open-ended questions, and I remember one from the early
1970s along the lines "Why is character encoding such a difficult thing
to get right?" Forty years on, getting it right hasn't become any easier.

However, I think any student answering that question would have been
expected to understand the difference between characters and the bytes
used to represent them.

Michael Kay
Saxonica