Re: [xml-dev] How to be nimble, agile in the face of changingtechnologies?

Costello, Roger L. scripsit:

> How can I design today so that tomorrow I can nimbly change to a new
> validation language? Are there concrete, practical things that can be
> done today? Perhaps one thing that can be done is to require every
> data model be implemented in both XML Schema and Relax NG. What else?

$EMPLOYER's practice is to write all schemas in RELAX NG (except for
some legacy DTDs), and convert them to XSD using Trang for delivery to
implementation groups.  We make sure that our sample documents are valid
against both schemas.

The RNG Converter at
http://java.net/downloads/msv/nightly/rngconv.20060319.zip can be used
to convert an XML Schema including all imports to a monolithic RELAX
NG grammar.  It does not preserve modularization, and ignores xsd:key,
xsd:keyref, and xsd:unique declarations.

--
Here lies the Christian,                        John Cowan
        judge, and poet Peter,                  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan