Re: [xml-dev] How to be nimble, agile in the face of changing technologies?

On 1 February 2012 22:26, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
> Petite Abeille scripsit:
>
>> Fair enough. FWIW, my personal experience is the exact opposite:
>> pointless, bloated, big design up-front, busy work which never gets
>> anything done. But as always, YMMV.
>
> Believe me, I've had plenty of experience of that.  If you truly aren't
> going to need something, YAGNI is a huge win.  But there's no reason to
> pretend that just because this is only the first report you are writing,
> that there won't be hundreds more reports.

I think the theory goes, you use all of the good practice and patterns
you know while you are coding something, but don't add in unnecessary
flexibility up-front... as then it's a cost that you've definitely
incurred regardless, as more often than not the project gets cancelled
or the world moves on before that flexibility pays back the cost.

I think (again, sorry its all vague) that's from Agile, maybe someone
will know either way.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com