Re: [xml-dev] How to be nimble, agile in the face of changingtechnologies?

Variations depend on where you are in the stack AND the locale.  For
example, if I started with that assumption, nothing I am writing would
be of much use to the community in which I am situated which is
squarely in the DTD camp and bloody big complex ones with multiple
associated versions.  A mild bad surprise yesterday was to have
converted a large RPSTL to a tag set only to open the DTD of note and
find a different tag set:  same information, but different tags and
different id'd elements.  Version creep.

Another variant is the stack:  are you writing XML software or are you
using XML software to create an application (e.g., are you writing a
parser or creating your own color-coded rich text box or are you
dragging them into the forms, googling the API/docs and implementing a
search and replace and a set of canned queries)?  Starting over has
different costs.  In the latter case, throwing things at the wall for
awhile until you are comfortable with the operations (eg, does it
surprise you and do things you didn't plan for but realized you need
only to find out it does that) isn't that bad.  Not checking the DTD
first and completely understanding it? Not good but recoverable.  Not
being told the customer switched to XML Schemas a week ago?  A bad day
in hell.

Nimbleness is awareness and preparation.  Few get it right the first
time and depending on the task at hand, no two developments start in
the same place.  If you make assumptions based on "the larger XML
community" then you are saying they are your customer or your
supplier.  If you do that and they aren't one or the other, you're
screwing up.

I'm building tools because I need them to do a specific job set.  YMMV
and mine is a different job than writing for a market to which you
haven't sold anything or which you propose to create.  On the other
hand, if you are immersed in a particular market and what you create
is saving you time and money, increasing quality and reducing misery,
there is a better than even chance it will do the same for others in
the same community.

Keep a copy of code that works even if you decide not to use it.  You
never know.

len