Re: [xml-dev] Naming conventions for a sampling of W3C and ISO XMLvocabularies

Purely selfishly, I use the underscore (nods to Andrew) if I plan to
use the name in microparsing.  Spaces are unreliable (people don't
notice double spaces, single quotes disappear to aging eyes,
underscores when doubled are human-eye noticeable.  A split function
using an underscore is easy to see in the code that does the
microparsing.

That said, I tend to camel_Case XML as a typing habit.  I would hazard
a guess that camel_Case is a side effect of scanning lots of tags by
eye and needing to sort out the sub-names inside the case.  I think
that easier.  For the machine, someone else has to make the case for
the Case.  I'm not sure it's useful in that regard.

In the system I'm working today, the locals giggled at the underscores
in the file names claiming they were so "old school" and that "spaces
are modern".  I let them have back the 3000+ files with an extra space
in one of the file names.

Here's one for you, Roger:  do you think file names should preserve
the names of the systems tracking the system in line before them or
rename for the system the follows?  IOW, do we push names forward or
track them backward?  I have my own story but I'd like to hear what
you think?  As with granularity, there are practical reasons for
choosing.

len