Re: [xml-dev] Should one adopt the tag naming convention of anexisting XML vocabulary or create one's own tag naming convention?

David,
Sure, things that are not shared are not at issue.  Things that are shared between two development organisations however, or things that are long-lived, should make use of business domain usage to maximise the changes of consistent usage over time (what are the chances of a piece of code being put in the fridge for 18 months and then handed to a developer who does not know the original developers? nah, never happens).  I am not arguing that we should call integers something else, IT is a business domain too, but where we talk about things from the external business domain we should be careful to conform to usage from the business domain so that our anonymous successors or people in partner organisations have a better chance of understanding and easily using what we have done.

Greg

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM, David Lee <dlee@calldei.com> wrote:

I would argue that it depends on if the "business" ever actually "sees" the XML ...

If not then developer convenience may well trump business use.

Even so ... functionally consistent and aiding computer processing may also trump "business style".    Business uses typically don't "see" the raw XML so its really a moot case most of the time and the developer/computer/technical reasons may well be more important, especially in things like naming conventions for internal objects (xml tags etc).

From: Greg Hunt [mailto:greg@firmansyah.com]
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 5:15 PM
To: Petite Abeille
Cc: xml-dev

Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Should one adopt the tag naming convention of an existing XML vocabulary or create one's own tag naming convention?

You are constructing a straw man: I didn't use any of those words and you may have missed the point.  The terminology and usage in the business domain is more stable and consistent than the collective opinions of a development team that is working independently of the business domain.  The fact that the world changes and is messy does not mean that developer convenience trumps business usage.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Petite Abeille <petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 6, 2012, at 10:28 PM, Greg Hunt wrote:

>   The language and culture in the business domain are the only
> things that over time resist the entropy that developers naturally bring to
> the design and maintenance of shared data structures.

Color me, hmmm, out-of-touch, but... in what world does such an orderly, well defined, stable, never changing, clear, unambiguous "business domain" exists?!?!

If anything, the, hmmm, real world is anything but orderly.