Re: RDF people, please define "surface syntax" and "concrete syntax"

Roger--

As used in these articles, the terms are synonymous.  The first article, by Pat Hayes, explains why you might want to separately talk about an abstract syntax (in the case of RDF, the graphs), and a surface or concrete syntax (RDF/XML, Turtle, etc.;  the ways you might encode those graphs for presentation to a computer).  The distinction between abstract and concrete syntaxes comes from programming languages;  these ideas were not developed specifically for RDF.  The RDF specifications themselves tend to use "concrete" rather than "surface" (except for one reference to "surface" in Semantics).

--Frank