Re: [xml-dev] Correct xml:lang value for Pinyin Chinese vs Simplified Chinese

On 27 February 2012 10:55, Chris Maloney <voldrani@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:06 AM, Lech Rzedzicki <xchaotic@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I am faced with with content that shows three variants:
>> 1. a transliteration of the phrase in Pidgin/Pinyin
>> 2. The phrase as written with Chinese Simplified characters
>> 3. An even more simple transliteration with English characters, but no
>> accents etc..
>>
>> The dialect of the language is Mandarin
>>
>> Question is how do I express most of the above with xml:lang so that
>> software down the line (such as browsers) can do something useful with
>> it?
>>
>> From what I've seen, one can be pretty descriptive in the attribute,
>> but it is interesting what the tools support.
>> I am happy with the middle ground such as "zh-Hans", but I would also
>> want to differentiate between the different transliterations of the
>> same phrase.
>> Is that beyond the scope of xml:lang attribute?
>
> This is one of the use cases of ruby annotations: http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/

Thanks, but I still don't know which xml-lang value to use (the ruby
element also uses xml:lang).
Also it seems to me Ruby spec is closely associated with (X)HTML i.e.
presentational markup in a browser.
I think the correct usage in my case would be to transform from my
semantic/media-neutral markup (based on TEI P5 at the moment) to Ruby,
if necessary?

Lech