RE: [xml-dev] Do attributes have scope? Are attributes metadata?

It can be muddier than that.   Consider

<wiringdiagram><title>Some Title</title>... </wiringdiagram>

Where the style sheet(s) (say FOSI) contributes "WIRING DIAGRAM".
Should the type definition/schema require the title element given that
it has to be empty or the print copy will have a double entry for that
value possibly in conflict as in "Wiring Diagram"?  The DTD says yes.
The English text only says a title has to be there.  The authority is
the English text but the measuring stick is the DTD.  The status of the
style sheet is it has the power to render the item that will be
inspected visually and redlined.  The DTD errors are factored into the
2% allowable error rate with some comments where a failure to meet an
undocumented but expected is called an error (say using pretext
attributes in xrefs instead of the idref.

Without authoritative clear unambiguous documentation, the tagger is
left testing and trying to work out a less than 2% error rate solution.

I see stuff daily where the organization's practices, habits and
opinions are provably incorrect with respect to the documented
authoritative definitions.   Once again, humans are the power but do not
have the authority so questions of data and metadata will matter.

len