Re: [xml-dev] Validation of complex content

Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for your reply. I really like this solution (and I
wasn't aware of this feature in Saxon) it would fit in very nicely
with our current set of tools and it would allow to specify this
complex constraint in the same place as the definition of the element
in the XML Schema.

However the validation tool we're trying to put together is supposed
to support an open standard and even though I believe that at least
everybody on this list should buy a copy of your tools if only to
support your enormous contribution to the XML language and community,
I am not sure if I can convince the others in the standardisation
committee.

This actually brings me to a separate but I think related question:

Is there an agreed validation mechanism for open-standards based on
XML, i.e. do they only release a set of files which allow for
validation (xml schema, relaxng) or do they release a tool which
provides the validation when not all constraints can be captured using
these languages? Note: not sure what the distinction is between a
validation tool and a validation schema, when considering NVDL,
Schematron and XSLT, XProc.

What I am trying to find out is if it would be acceptable for the
standard to include in their schemas assertions which are tied to a
specific schema processor and force each member/consumer which wants
to validate their data 'fully' to buy a license of this third party
tool? Note: this assumes that these third-party assertions are ignored
by other tools, so the consumers can still validate their data up-to a
certain level.

Kind regards,
Edwin