RE: [xml-dev] xml:href, xml:rel and xml:type

> From: Toby Considine [mailto:tobyconsidine@gmail.com] On
> Subject: RE: [xml-dev] xml:href, xml:rel and xml:type
>
> And then there is the issue of declaring special purpose XML
> lexicons.

Please clarify.  I think this is an important point, but I'm
not sure we understand the same thing by it.

> Just as I need a mime type for traditional
> references, and one needs an application type for, say, the
> "mailto" type link,

This is a URI scheme I think.  What is it about xml:href which
would not accommodate such a URI?

> there should, of ging down this path, be
> a place to create/register additional application-namespace
> types on the references.

Nothing about xml:href, xml:rel and xml:type imply that the full
expressive power of xml is unavailable to the document designer, I think.

In fact, if these attributes don't fit the need, don't use them.

> In my recent work, I have wrestled with classes of
> calendar/schedule feeds, and how links to them should be
> represented.

> If these are guides to service end points, there
> should be some way to distinguish and select between a list
> of them.

Going back to the expressive power of XML, use that if you need to.

> The idea of a "mini-wsdl" for an array of xlinks w/I
> a larger xml document, though, threatens to be like a
> monkfish, i.e. a relatively small creature able to swallow a
> large goose. The monkfish is hideous.
> After swallowing it has to lie on the bottom for a week or
> month to digest.

Interesting analogy!

Cheers,
Peter