RE: [xml-dev] xml:href, xml:rel and xml:type

Let's be fair.  Hytime became Elliot's by award and rightfully given the
work he put into it, but it was being worked some years before Eliot.
In fact, if you have the technical history of Hytime by example, you
have most of everything ever tried in hypertext linking.  The original
drafts are almost identical to what would become web HTML long before it
stopped to REST (again, be fair: REST is a retrofit). Arch forms come at
the end of a long line of good tries.  Timing and luck and implementors:
at the end of the day, it comes down to implementors.

An XML hypertext engine that plays well with REST and ignores undeclared
gencodes is a viable approach if "anyone cares".   It would be a
continual frenetic activity of choosing what to implement and what is
too application-specific to care.    IADS/IDEAS was just that: a fixed
set of tags that then became tag types and eventually a morass of
processing instructions and the rest of straight-up XML before there was
an XML with a style sheet per document type.  No RDBs needed or wanted.

Why do it?  Why do hypertext PDF?

If you want to look at the ultimate complex approach, look at S1000D
where a configuration management approach dominates the design over a
Common Source Data Base.  Lots of money spent but suspended in gaffa
otherwise.  Why?  So far it doesn't solve problems people care about for
the cost of the solution.  John Junod (hey, john) may drop by to pound
me for saying that.

len