RE: [xml-dev] What is the best way to approach the structuring ofinventory data?

I agree with Frank, but I would also add: consider how is the data actually produced, and how it is foreseen that it will be used. What is the use case for creating the XML expression? For storage, transmission, integration of records or something else? The more uses the data will be put to, and/or the more sources that will contribute to it, the more important contextual modelling will be, and the more you need to design the data "up front" for all the intended uses.

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Manola [mailto:fmanola@acm.org]
Sent: 03 July 2012 16:42
To: Costello, Roger L.
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] What is the best way to approach the structuring of inventory data?

I would start by looking at the vocabulary used in the database and file structures used by existing inventory-related applications/systems, and at the distinct vocabulary used in the application area (aircraft/airport-related, from what you said).  After all, none of this is a new application area, and if it works, use it.