RE: Tumbleweeds

Right!
From: Len Bullard [Len.Bullard@ses-i.com]
Sent: July 6, 2012 9:41 AM
To: Mike Sokolov
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] Tumbleweeds

I'm changing the subject line to keep this from becoming topical dark
matter.

The problem of using an old one is it comes with it's community's
semiotic baggage as in repurposing "namespace".   It is one of the
trickier bits of communication in practice.  As Dr. Goldfarb said about
writing specifications or standards, "conserve nouns".

I understood Peter because of using the term for a similar problem only
to be told the term was "clica".  A very long time ago when sociology
was trendy, we would talk about clique theory, how one could identify
subcultures by their argot or lingo and how the right to create and
promote insider words was a sign of status as well as a means to
establish dominance by marking conversational territory. See "pissing on
trees".  It is also a means to avoid the same.

len