Re: [xml-dev] What is @xml:space about?

xml:space="preserve" says that the author of the document believes all
white space to be significant; xml:space="preserve" says that the
recipient can do whatever he likes. I don't know of any applications
that use this attribute for any purpose other than to decide whether
whitespace-only text nodes should be preserved, but one could certainly
argue that an XSLT stylesheet author who does normalize-space() on an
element with xml:space="preserve" is ignoring the document author's
intentions (which, of course, he is perfectly entitled to do).

Michael Kay
Saxonica