RE: [xml-dev] "Introducing MicroXML, Part 1: Explore the basicprinciples of ...

> >I recall that a goal of MicroXML is that it be readable by a full XML parser.
> But I have not followed the discussions enough to >determine if it can be
> parsed into XDM ... and how similar the result would be if the same text
> stream were parsed as XML into >XDM.
>
> I was hoping MicroXML was going to get rid of namespaces.  Are namespaces
> part of the XDM such that they would have to be included?  I would not have
> thought so, but these parser things seem to be pretty delicate beasts.
>
> Peter

Namespaces are 'part' of XDM but they can be empty.  So in theory MicroXML with no namespaces might fit in an XDM Model.

From the reading of the evolving commentary I am not sure if a 'real' XML parser could actually read MicroXML ...
if it ran across namespacy like things like <foo:bar/>  without an associated namespace declaration.
However ... a MicroXML Parser could read such a thing and possibly construct an XDM model with  it.
But what would the localname be ? "foo:bar" ?  Not a valid NCName ... "bar" ? but no namespace node ?
Would XSLT and XQuery be able to process the XDM produced by a MicroXML parser ?
I would hope so otherwise MicroXML will have to stay its own island like JSON.  In which case why even bother making it look like XML?

I admit I have not kept up with the MicroXML "specs" to know if even <foo:bar/> is valid MicroXML ... let alone to consider
how it would be converted to XDM.

But this latest series of discussions has me interested.

-David