From: David Lee [mailto:dlee@calldei.com]
Sent: 18 July 2012 18:08
To: Costello, Roger L.; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] RE: Proposal: a building block approach to XML design

I am not quite sure of the problem here.
If Books, Watches, and Bicycles are in different namespaces you can construct a new document containing all 3.
If none of these were written with extension in mind you can only create documents that contain or inherit from them.
But if they were built with extension in mind then there could be places in each schema that allowed children from other schemas.
This is sometimes but not always desirable.  It could well be desirable for the designer of Books to NOT allow you to put a  bicycle inside it.
If you dont like that constraint you are free to create  a new book schema (with the same namespace if you like) which allows bicycles in it.

Another approach if you totally ignore schema validation you can mix them up however you want.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org