Re: [xml-dev] The Rise of Worse is Better

XML actually started in awareness of Gabriel's theory: see for example
 1994 discussion at
  http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/text-processing/sgml/comp.text.sgml/1994/08
with Eric Naggum (+ Eliot Kimber, James Clark, David Megginson, Betty
Harvey, Paul Hermans, Len Bullard, etc).  The idea of Worse is Better
was quite well known, as a plausible way to think about SGML & HyTime.

If we take XML as the first generation, XPath/XSLT and Namespaces as
the second, then it was the third generation  of XSD that abandoned
Worse is Better.  Even with namespaces, I think default namespaces (in
order to bring HTML into namespaces using nominal DTD defaults)  were
an abandonment of Worse is Better.

(Note that Worse is Better is not minimalism or reductionism either.)

Garbriel is a really fun writer.

Cheers
Rick