Re: [xml-dev] RE: Why does my browser treat the XML Schema document at a URL as an XML document?

On 10/09/2012 13:49, Rushforth, Peter wrote:
> But in general, the client needs a hint regarding what to negotiate for, and this
> is what @rel and @type are for.

In the context of the web in general and this thread in particular.
that's wildly misleading. The overwhelming majority of links on the web
have no such hints.

The original question refered to referencing teh schema directly in the
browser location bar (where there is no markup) or equivalently from a
link such as in the archives of this list where it will be an html a
link, again with no type information.

>  However, most 'properly configured web servers' would
> provide an html representation and an xml representation, and not use the xml-stylesheet trick.

That is a rather judgemental comment. You appear to be saying the w3c
web server is not properly configured?

In fact while serving different representations at the same URI and
relying on content negotiation to send the right one has some uses in
restricted circumstances, it also has many drawbacks, notably it makes
it very hard to talk about the URL (or to be sure what you will get if
you request it). Also I don't know why you should call using one of the
more consistently implemented w3c recommendations "a hack".

David

--
google plus: https:/profiles.google.com/d.p.carlisle