US-ASCII characters versus XML characters ... why such a hugediscrepancy?

Hi Folks,

Below is a table that shows the US-ASCII characters (decimal value) in the left column and the right column indicates whether the character is allowed in XML documents.

Questions:

1. Why does XML not support many of the US-ASCII characters? Of the 127 US-ASCII characters, 28 characters are not allowed in XML documents; that is, 22% of the US-ASCII characters are not supported by XML.

2. I am creating an XML Schema for an RFC that allows all 127 US-ASCII characters. What should I do for the 28 US-ASCII characters that are supported by the RFC but not supported by XML?

Decimal value of
US-ASCII character | Is an XML character?
    1              |  No
    2              |  No
    3              |  No
    4              |  No