Re: [xml-dev] Support for XML 1.1?

At 2012-10-01 16:06 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>Thanks for the excellent responses to my previous posting.
>
>It appears that using XML 1.1 is the best way to go for supporting
>all the US-ASCII characters.
>
>Questions:
>3. Why isn't everyone using XML 1.1?

We already are!

XML 1.1 states that if you aren't using a 1.1 feature though shalt
use the 1.0 declaration:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml11-20060816/#proc-types
   Last paragraph
   (though I see now it is "should" not "shall" ... I've always remembered
    it incorrectly as "shall")

Thus, every XML 1.0 instance is by definition also an XML 1.1 instance.

>4. Is there any reason for not using XML 1.1?

Only use 1.1 if you need a 1.1 feature.  If you are not using a 1.1
feature then using the 1.0 will be more inclusive for processors that
might decide they don't like your instance because by declaring 1.1
you're declaring that you'll be using something they don't understand.

>5. Do you use XML 1.1?

Only when I need to, and I cited the example in my earlier post
(copied below) which happen to be the only time I have ever needed to
for a client.

So, I have always followed the advice of the specification:  only use
"1.1" when you need 1.1 features.  If you don't need any 1.1 feature,
labeling the instance 1.1 is misleading.  Users seeing that may
anticipate that the instance is actually using a 1.1 feature.

I hope this helps.

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com