Re: [xml-dev] The purpose of a namespace URI is ...

An interesting conversation indeed.  My understanding was namespaces were
to be used as specific pointers.

As an example; I have a project at www.mlhim.org using this as the base I
add xmlns and then the version of the schema to create the complete
namespace for each schema.

Examples:
xmlns:mlhim2="http://www.mlhim.org/xmlns/mlhim2/2_3_0"
xmlns:mlhim2="http://www.mlhim.org/xmlns/mlhim2/2_4_0"
xmlns:mlhim2="http://www.mlhim.org/xmlns/mlhim2/2_4_1"

[actually 2.4.1 will be released this coming week]

are all three active versions of this reference model schema.  Though they
are essentially the same schema. Small changes to improve usability  etc.
were made in each version. There are constraint schemas developed against
them and they will always exist as they were initially created,
representing healthcare concepts.  Once there are constraint schemas
(Concept Constraint Definitions or CCDs) built against them and there is
instance data against those CCDs.  They must remain there forever in order
to provide the syntax and semantics for the instance data, where ever that
instance data exists.

I cannot decide from the conversation if this is considered best practice
or not.  I had at one time thought to use xmlns:mlhim2="
http://www.mlhim.org/xmlns/mlhim2" in parallel with the versioned ones
above but that is not functional as far as I can tell since the CCD needs
to always know where the reference model schema it was built against
exists.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim