Re: [xml-dev] XML/XSL Revision Control/ Source Code Versioning:Ideas, Methods, Tools for Specific scenario as a Content Writer?

On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 21:59 +0530, Alex S wrote:
> [...]

> I remember reading somewhere that a pure text/ linear comparison based
> tool/ system may not be ideal to compare & merge XML tree structure
> based documents.
>
> Are there any that are more XML aware?

Several, including both interactive and batch software.
DeltaXML and OxygenXML might be useful additional names for searching.

> Also, I was wondering if I wanted to do compare/ merges visually using
> Altova Diffdog or similar tools then which source control systems
> would allow me to access/ load the individual versions into such a
> tool to merge into the newer or create a newer version?
That I don't know.

> Are some of these systems XML tree structure aware/ friendly?
>
> .. sent via iPad
What is that? Please check your computer does not have an ipad virus!

Later in your mail you mention git. One way to use traditional
line-based source code systems such as RCS, SCCS and GIT with XML is to
normalize the XML so that changes in XML-insignificant whitespace do not
lead to problems. It's still not ideal, though.

Liam

Co-author, 5th edition of "Beginning XML", Wrox, 2012