Re: versioned XML-DBMS

On 12/13/2012 10:33 PM, Johannes.Lichtenberger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know what you think are the main future directions I should
> go with a versioned open source XML-DBMS[1] (as I'm currently the only
> developer -- without a community to ask ;-)).
>
> The main features are:
> - it provides a diff-algorithm to import differences between two
> XML-documents (I've also imported a small set of sorted wikipedia
> articles by their revision-timestamps and a predefined time interval
> which decides when to store a new revision)
> - an ID-based diff-algorithm which detects differences between the
> revisions/versions of a single resource (for instance used for
> interactive visualizations thereof)
> - several well known versioning strategies which might adapt themselves
> in the future according to different workloads
> => thus any revision can be simply serialized, queried...
> - supports XQuery (through Brackit(.org))
> - supports the XQuery Update Facility (through Brackit(.org))
> - a GUI which isn't stable enough incorporates several views which are
> visualizing either a single revision or the differences between two or
> more revisions of a resource (an XML-document in Sirix)
> - naturally implements a form of MVCC and thus readers are never blocked
> - single write-transaction in parallel to N read-transactions on the
> same resource

Well, I even forgot temporal XPath enhancements as for instance temporal
axis (very similar to the ones in the ETH-project TimeMachine) and an
XDM-extension such that the document order for instance is determined by
the resource, the revision currently opened and the position in the
internal tree-structure -- for instance a resource in a collection,
revision-number (int) and a DeweyID. Furthermore doc('foo', 0) can
optionally open a specific revision (for instance revision 0 which is
the first one) or the most revision version through the usual doc('foo')
function. Similarly a serialize-function exists.

Provided temporal axis currently are first::, last::, previous::,
next::, past::, past-or-self::, future::, future-or-self::, all-time::.

kind regards
Johannes