Re: [xml-dev] RE: There is a serious amount of character encodingconversions occurring inside our computers and on the Web

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:

> On 28/12/2012 19:45, Chris Maloney wrote:
>>
>> Roger,
>>
>> Here is a classic post from XML.com that is right in line with the
>> topic of character encodings that you have been posting about
>> recently, titled "XML on the web has failed":
>> http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/07/21/dive.html
>>

> Well, it's a very sensible article spoilt by a very silly title.

I agree with this.  When I first read it, several years ago, it seemed
to me that the problems he was describing were disastrous and
implacable.  Now, not so much.

I guess the main problems he points out are solved just by making sure
your server always uses the "charset" parameter with the HTTP
content-type header.  The other problems, such as static caching of
news feeds, would/should be solved by using proper transcoders within
those caching systems.

It makes interesting reading, though, insofar as it serves to
illustrate that the things Roger was marveling about, how all these
encodings are handled seemlessly and invisibly, doesn't just happen by
magic; there's a lot of engineering behind the scenes.