Re: [xml-dev] An XML document is not well-formed if encoding="..."does not match the actual encoding of the characters in the document, right?

Roger wrote:

> I would advocate using UTF-8 exclusively

That's what I do with my own files, and what I advocate whenever I
have any input to design decisions, but as Liam and others have said,
it's not practical to expect everyone to adopt this convention.

What I really want to know is, when can we start freely using BOMs in
UTF-8?  I really like this idea, because it is a simple, easy way for
a text file to "declare" that it is in UTF-8, and eliminate the
ambiguity when the text files are passed around.  Unfortunately, a lot
of software, especially on Linux, still chokes on these.

On a slightly different topic (UTF-16), this discussion reminded of
something else I read a while back, a technical note the Unicode
Consortium advocating for the use of UTF-16 for internal processing
(as opposed to file interchange):
http://unicode.org/notes/tn12/tn12-1.html.  On the other hand, I just
found from a Google search this recent thread on StackExchange, where
several people argue that UTF-16 should be considered harmful:
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/102205/should-utf-16-be-considered-harmful.
 I guess the debate will rage on, but interoperability, on the whole,
does seem to be getting better.

Chris