Re: [xml-dev] Reusing Locally Defined Element in the Same parentTag using "ref" ?

When people ask "why?" in relation to a rule in a specification, there
are two possible ways to try and answer it:

(a) historical causality: scour the minutes of the meetings to determine
when the decision was made, what arguments were put forward for and
against, and how the voting went. This is rarely possible; even those
who were present at the relevant meeting often have trouble working out
why the decision went a particular way. But when you're investigating
the absence of a feature, the most likely conclusion of such an
investigation is that no-one ever proposed the desired feature, and
therefore the committee never debated it. To find out why no-one
proposed it, you would have to ask about 50 different people why they
didn't propose it during their membership of the working group.

(b) post-hoc rationalization: that is, ask people involved in the design
process whether or not they would have supported a proposal to add the
relevant feature if such a proposal had been made at a suitable time. In
my case, I think the answer is probably that I would have opposed adding
it, on the grounds that the language is quite complicated enough
already, and the usability benefits are marginal.

Michael Kay
Saxonica