Re: [xml-dev] Reusing Locally Defined Element in the Same parent Tagusing "ref" ?

XML Schema (at least 1.0) requires it's reusable artefacts to be
defined globally.

Global/Local declarations have implications beyond scope of reference.

You may find it illuminating to read about Schema Design patterns -
Russian Doll, Salami Slice, Venetian Blind and Garden of Eden.