Re: [xml-dev] Escaping and Encoding of reserved URI characters inXPointer Framework

On Tue, 2013-01-22 at 17:33 -0800, David Sheets wrote:
> Maybe someone on this list can clarify the question below?
> Sent <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2013JanMar/0000.html>
> 5 days ago to <mailto:www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org> without
> response:

Note, the XML Core Working Group only meets every other week.

> Reading <http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/#escaping>, I am left
> with the impression that the number sign (#), percent sign (%), and
> square bracket characters ('[', ']') do NOT need to be escaped in a
> fragment identifier subscribing to the XPointer Framework.

This would not be a correct impression.
> Have I understood this correctly? Does XPointer Framework actually
> recommend a fragment identifier syntax that contradicts RFC 2396 and
> its revision RFC 3986?

No. See the examples in 4.2 Examples of Escaping. It depends on the
context in which the XPointer occurs, though. In an XML document,
is given as an example, but the #-signs here would be treated as part of
numeric character references by the XML processor before the link was
actually used.

The phrase, "except for the number sign (#) and percent sign (%) and the
square bracket characters re-allowed in [RFC 2732]." could have been
written, "except for the number sign (#) and percent sign (%), and for
the square bracket characters re-allowed in [RFC 2732]." and is in the
paragraph about turning an IRI into a URI. You don't escape the # in an
IRI when turning it to a URI because it marks the start of the fragment
identifier. Other #-signs were already escaped when the IRI was

Yes, escaping is a huge mess in XPointer, at least in part becaue IRI
syntax is a mess.