Re: [xml-dev] Here's how to process XML documents written in German

On 1/30/13 3:39 PM, Michael Kay wrote:
> The odd thing is, people have known about this problem for years, but
> I've never once seen it happen in the real world. There are plenty of
> character encoding problems that cause a lot more hassle in real life
> than this one, which as David Lee points out, is easily avoided by
> applying schema validation to the input (and using a schema-aware
> stylesheet, if you really want to be safe).

I have encountered it, but it was the result of someone running files
through Unicode normalization tools at one setting after running their
stylesheets through similar tools on a different setting.

It was good for some head-scratching, and I'm actually finding myself
writing about similar issues now that I'm playing in a language (Erlang)
which sort of supports Unicode but has a limited toolset.

--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/