Re: [xml-dev] Quiz: How do you put a Euro sign in your data if yourXML uses windows-1252 encoding and you use a numeric character reference?

On 01/03/2013 13:49, Tim Cook wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Michael Sokolov
> <msokolov@safaribooksonline.com> wrote:
>
>> The advice I always give is: use (and demand) UTF-8 everywhere and anywhere
>> that you can.  Don't use named entities ever (actually this has nothing to
>> do with character sets, but it's still my position :)).
> i tend to agree with this, Michael.
>
> My questions is; Is there a use case or any good reason to use
> anything but UTF-8?
Sure. Here are three:

(a) You've harangued the owner of product X or service Y to deliver data
in UTF-8 and they aren't interested in helping you, or they tell you
that they can't change because it would be too disruptive.

(b) You can't persuade your users to throw away those non-UTF-8 text
editors, or to be careful what encoding they select when they hit Save.

(c) You've got terabytes of stuff that someone created years ago and its
encoding is a mess, it's supposed to be in UTF-8 but you know that not
all of it is, and there's no real way of finding out.

Michael Kay
Saxonica