Re: [xml-dev] Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

Roger,

I'm currently doing a project that utilizes JSON, XML and RDF. Each has its place, and in general I'm using RDF for managing relationships in a heterogeneous environment, XML (actually RDF/XML) in order to facilitate faceted searching of text content, and JSON to interchange with the web client, as well as in a node.js server. JSON sucks as a language for text searches, where I'd argue that XML (via XQuery) is very well suited for that role. The tools for working with XML on the client are relatively primitive (Saxon-CE 1.1 may very well change that, that it's going to take a while for that sea change) but JSON has pretty much captured that space. You deal with it.

I've reached a stage where I no longer even argue the issue with people. Personally I think developers should be well versed in the four primary formats (CSV, XML, JSON, RDF, as Jenni T famously identified a few years back) even beyond knowing programming languages.

Kurt

Kurt Cagle
Invited Expert, XForms Working Group, W3C
Managing Editor, XMLToday.org
kurt.cagle@gmail.com
443-837-8725