Re: [xml-dev] Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

On 3/24/13 6:10 AM, Michael Kay wrote:
> As far as I can tell, JSON (like CSV) is used almost entirely for
> private data interchange between consenting applications, not for
> standardised data formats. (I'm pleased to be corrected if I am wrong).

As it turns out, the world needs infinitely more formats for private
(and internal) data interchange than it needs standards for universal
interchange.  Most of XML's advantages for creating such standards, most
notably its endless obsession with schemas, turn out to be dead weight
for private interchange applications.

There are also piles of public APIs using JSON.  Programmable Web and
similar places keep showing growth in JSON-based APIs.  See, for example:

<http://blog.programmableweb.com/2012/12/17/leading-apis-say-bye-xml-in-new-versions/>

I'll stick to my "mixed content is XML's only genuinely useful
advantage" argument.  (And there are, of course, other ways to get to
mixed content.)

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent