Re: [xml-dev] Four fine text-based data formats ... liberate yourselffrom one (silo) data format

On 3/24/13 10:34 AM, Timothy W. Cook wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org> wrote:
> Most of XML's advantages for creating such standards, most notably its
> endless obsession with schemas, turn out to be dead weight for private
> interchange applications.
>>
>> Comments?
 >
> I find this statement to be ... well; bizarre, I guess is the best word.

It may not fit in your neighborhood, but it explains much of why XML has
failed to prosper in other neighborhoods.

(Verbosity is the other common explanation.)

> Can you possibly explain "how" this is true?

Sure.

XML, practically alone among recent technologies, reliably drives its
users into a top-down "waterfall" model of development.

There is nothing about markup itself that requires that model - it is
absolutely possible to iterate through different vocabularies, maintain
variant structures for different use cases, and build software that
manages to handle multiple versions of messages without massively
redundant code.

The bottleneck is the XML community's strange worship of schemas.  The
schema approach expects universal agreement among participants on data
structures up front. The resulting culture has churned through endless
design by committee mixed with efforts to get there first and force
everyone to use schemas already tilted in one's preferred direction.

You certainly can use schemas in private interchange, but they tend to
be far less intricate.  In cases where the same developer (or often
firm) controls both ends of a conversation, they often don't even
manifest themselves as more than notes or sketches in an object model.

If you love top-down development models and consider the architect the
true creator of a project, by all means, please handcuff yourself to
schemas.  There are certainly business cultures which refuse to consider
any other model.

(There are other data approaches which proudly wear those handcuffs as
well - ASN.1 is another classic, even more extreme.)

If you can, however, escape that approach.

* Stop expecting that everything important about a document will be
known before it arrives.

* Plan to write code that you will extend over time to deal with
variations.

* Communicate with other developers who use your information on a
continuous (or at least regular) basis, rather than "once than done".

* Treat schemas as documentation rather than as a brittle home for your
future code.

Yeah.  It's hard to imagine, and it's never going to appeal to control
freaks.  Even among programmers, however, control freaks turn out to be
only part of the crowd.

(And yes, I participated in the drive toward schemas long ago and didn't
figure this out either until it was too late for our culture.  That is
my primary regret about my time in the XML world.)

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com/