Re: [xml-dev] Four fine text-based data formats ... liberate yourselffrom one (silo) data format

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org> wrote:

    I would have a layer that converts the particular data format
    into an abstract representation (perhaps as a list of values or
    perhaps as a tree data structure) and then I would have a software
    module (that is distributed to everyone) to process the geolocation
    data.

It's the fact that everyone is using the same software module that ensures common semantic interpretation. Common semantic interpretation is not achieved via a common syntax.

Common library routines can't compel a common semantics either.  The only way to achieve common semantics is for human beings to share a common purpose.

--
GMail doesn't have rotating .sigs, but you can see mine at http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/signatures