Re: [xml-dev] Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

> That in no way justifies the "constraints first" model that has dominated
> markup conversations for the last three decades.

There is a saying among industrial designers: "The Problem Comes
First". Modelling and developing in terms of driving forces and
constraints is central to design activity as a profession.

Christopher Alexander drew attention to the similarity between
solutions that also shared a similarity between driving forces and
constraints. In other words, your problem is most likely not very
unique. And the solution will likely be a variation of an established
pattern.

Now, given that you've had the luck (ie wise management) to actually
understand what the problem is about (business value, workflow,
culture/habits, legacy, strategy, etc etc), how often would you need
to start from first principles? And, even if you need to develop a
vocabulary from scratch, how much trouble would it be to document your
vocabulary in terms of your problem space? maybe even give it a name
and a version, so that you don't introduce yet another invisible
global state into your business processes?

Kind regards
Peter Ring