RE: [xml-dev] Not using mixed content? Then don't use XML

What miraculous corner of the markup world do you live in?

Can we expand that corner?

<<<<<<<<<<<<

A Corner very near my corner.

I have worked with XML for 15 years and only *occasionally* have had to touch a schema.
Even now working deep in the depths of an enterprise XML Database company my use of schema is primarily a QA exercise,
that is when I make changes to data I update a schema and validate against it to find out where I broke things,
but it wasn't a necessity.  It's just a really awesome way of finding out if the code producing 10,000 XML files all looks right in a few seconds instead of having to hand check every one.

The other times I worked with Schema deeply was at $PREV_EMPLOYEER working with a business partner where
we had to define what XML we wanted and they had to produce it.  It was a very agile effort with changes made almost daily over a few months.  We used Schema as a way of communicating between us and a way of validating our understanding.

Other than  an experiment in schema informed JSON conversion  and making use of some builtin features of previously mentioned database I never *have* to use schemas, and have never experienced this monolithic "Top Down" problem you describe with XML ...

This whole discussion reminds me of a AA meeting ...
"I'm not an alcoholic"
 "Ah ! Thats the first indicator, Denial !"

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org