more on Postel's law

In a post that doesn't have anything explicit to do with XML, Edd
Dumbill (previously XML.com and xmlhack.com editor) writes:

The fact of it is that being liberal in what you accept is really hard.
You basically have two options: look carefully for only the information
you need, which I think is the spirit of Postel’s law, or implement
something powerful that will take care of many use cases. This latter
strategy, though seemingly quicker and more future-proof, is what often
leads to bugs and security holes, as unintended applications of powerful
parsers manifest themselves.

<http://radar.oreilly.com/2013/03/lets-do-this-the-hard-way.html>

There's a lot more food for thought there, but "look carefully for only
the information you need" is at the heart of the models I think will
move markup practice forward.

Thanks,
--
Simon St.Laurent