Re: [xml-dev] XML still just a W3C Recommendation?

Thanks Liam, John,

Great that W3C does have PAS status with ISO.

I don't want to be too controversial but if the current (albeit
anecdotal) course of events is that XML is waning in Web
use but still incredibly strong in documents (such as OOXML),
it seems a natural progression and to the benefit of the
document users (just my opinion of course) to standardise
XML itself in ISO rather than leave it where it *might* be
waning (W3C). After all, many(?) ISO standards (OOXML,
ODF, etc, etc) rely on it and clearly the document world
will still need it to be a standard even if it gets abandoned
in the Web world.

----
Stephen D Green

On 11 April 2013 23:11, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

>  I thought there were moves some
> time back in W3C to gain some kind of ISO liason status, or
> does it already have it?

Yes. We have PAS status, I think it's called.

>  Will this ever likely lead to XML itself
> getting an ISO number?

Why? What advantage would we get? Are there significant markets where
XML is not used because it doesn't have a number from ISO and (more
importantly) where XML would be a net benefit?

Liam