Re: [xml-dev] Re: Native XML Interfaces

Lauren,

Sadly, I think that even many in the HTML5 community lost sight of the real goal for DOM. I've described DOM to clients as a mechanism whereby different languages communicated with the conceptual layer of the HTML page. XPath (and its derivatives) could have readily supplanted it, as JSONiq, XQIB and Saxon-CE all illustrate quite well, save for a couple of engineering (and political) problems.

The engineering problem was the need to start rendering a document before it had been fully loaded, which ironically would have been resolved simply by treating a sequence of nodes as a valid HTML input, instituting a rule that if an element with the same id was encountered in the stream it would replace any previous node with that id, and eliminating the idea that a document "ends". It would have effectively annulled the need for AJAX, and would have significantly reduced the need for JavaScript in the first place. A "new" document would then simply have been accomplished by passing a <page> element to the client, layout containment would happen either by syntactic containment or by reference, and script bindings on new elements would only be enforced when such an element was created or replaced.

The political problem was the need for DOM in the first place. DOM was seen by many as a way to make HTML understandable to programmers who were used to working with imperative languages, and as such it was an adoption issue.

Now, after the fact, things like Web Components and Shadow Trees seem to finally be making their way into the specification, though I fear that much like XBL before them, these standards will be met with a cold reception by the browser vendors. I hope I'm wrong - I think that in many respects it will be experimentation about the nature of the HTML standard itself that will drive the evolution of the web.

Kurt Cagle
Invited Expert, XForms Working Group, W3C
Managing Editor, XMLToday.org
kurt.cagle@gmail.com
443-837-8725